Today was our annual spelling bee. This is always a very exciting event at the middle school. Something I’ve always commented upon, with regard to middle school students is how difficult it is for them to “put themselves out there”. In addition to our students’ spelling acumen, I was most impressed with their willingness to get up in front of 737 students and almost 100 adults to spell difficult words. In addition, I was sincerely impressed by the way in which the rest of their classmates showed respect for them by applauding and supporting them as they participated. It must be very difficult when you’re eliminated onstage, but the applause of the student body made everyone proud of their participation. Special thanks to Rose Scalera our eighth grade English teacher who organizes the annual spelling.
- About intentions: Positivity
- Middle-leaders Collaborative: How do you handle “lame-duck” days?
- How do you build belonging in your school and your school community? (Middle-Level Collaborative)
- Middle leaders collaborative: One characteristic of great middle school leaders
- Middle-Level Leaders Collaborative: Who’s your “go-to” person?